If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy and are not ready to be a parent or there are other limiting circumstances, you may feel you need to get an abortion. If this is you, having all the information beforehand is a good idea so you can make a decision that will be the best for you.
Remember, you are your own best advocate.
Take some time and think it through. Making an informed decision is much better than making a rushed decision after getting a positive pregnancy test result.
Before you look for abortion services, make sure you are actually pregnant and find out for certain how far along you are. It’s best to take a medical-quality urine pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy like the ones used at Gateway Women’s Care even if you get a positive in-home pregnancy test and are experiencing common pregnancy symptoms.
Next, having an ultrasound is the most accurate way of calculating gestational age (how far along you are). Knowing this will determine the type of abortion suited for your situation. There are several chemical abortion procedures to terminate pregnancy that can be conducted up to 10 weeks after your last period. If ten weeks have passed, you may require a surgical abortion. An ultrasound can help you avoid an unnecessary, costly procedure.
As an abortion patient, you have the right to:
- Withhold or withdraw consent to abortion at any point
- Know your abortion providers name
- Know if the abortion provider has liability insurance and hospital privileges
- Receive a free ultrasound
- Understand fetal development related to gestational age
- Understand risks and side effects of both medical and surgical abortion
- Know risks of carrying to term
- Receive resources for free medical and community assistance for you and your baby
- Understand the fathers legal liability to child support
- Receive the above information 72 hrs prior to an abortion (https://wrtk.ncdhhs.gov/)
If you are considering abortion assistance, consider a visit to Gateway Women’s Care for abortion facts before you visit the abortion clinic. The advantage in coming to Gateway Women’s Care first is that you will receive the required pre-abortion services for free, rather than being charged for them. Gateway Women’s Care does not profit in any way from your decision.
Find out your rights as an abortion patient in a warm and sensitive environment; know what questions to ask at the abortion clinic; know what to expect from the procedure options; and more. Our ultrasounds are always free of charge regardless of your choice.
You won’t be rushed. We know this is a hard decision.
Call Raleigh 919.833.0096, Durham 919.251.9444 and Chapel Hill 919.537.8220 to schedule a free, confidential appointment today.